Friday, July 14, 2006

William wants me to start a letter campaign

We went to see Cars a couple weekends ago and one of the previews that was shown was for Monster House. My poor kid has been unable to get the scary images out of his head in all this time. He wants me to write letters to the makers of the movie and the theatre complaining. He asks some very good questions and makes some legitimate requests, such as:

--Why do people want to make a scary movie anyway? No kids like to be scared.
--Why do they show scary commercials before funny movies? People who go to funny movies don't want to see scary stuff.
--Tell them to stop showing Monster House on TV and stop showing scary commercials in kid movies.
--Tell them that they scared me and you don't like people to scare your little boy.
--Tell them to make 3 new movies that aren't scary, that are funny.

I'm touched that he thinks I have such power to affect change in the entertainment industry. I'm also more than a little ticked that I'm having to deal with this. After all, we did go to see a funny movie not a scary one (see point #2 above). It's amazing the power that images have over little kids. It's really made me rethink what I let him see, even on accident. He remembers the whole preview in vivid detail, while I barely remember it at all. Whether this is because he has a better memory than me, or because I was absorbed in getting all the buttered popcorn off the top before sharing it, I don't know. All I know is it's making bedtime a really sad time for my little boy, and I don't like it.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

"a better memory than me," or "a better memory than I,"?

I always try to think WWJS (What Would Jonathan Say?)

I think Jarek's forgotten about that movie... finally. You can sign our names on your letters, too. (=

Michelle said...

I'm sure he has better memories than me too, Crystal. Thanks. Technically it should be a better memory than I (have), but I left my technical writing pencil back in college and I don't care WWJS!

So there.

Michael said...

Sorry to hear that, Michelle. B/c it's animated, Nick won't believe that it could be scary. He's dying to see it.

lillyspad said...

I think as adults we have passed the conditioning stage where previews and shows such as that don't affect us as they do children. I have seen the preview for that movie on TV - in the limited amount of time we actually have the thing on - and each time I have switched it off or to another channel (of the 3 we get). All that being said, I think you and William have a valid point. It's just another way for Satan to infiltrate our kids' minds and the animation is supposed to make it "ok". Sign me up too!!