Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I ran three miles this morning! I ran a 5k a couple months ago, but it was HARD and I just came home and slept most of the day after. Today felt good. This is my 3rd time through Runner's World's 5k training program, so I guess it's finally taking. I know this may not seem like a big deal, but to me....it's huge. Three years ago next month I blew my knee out playing basketball. I didn't have insurance at the time so was never able get it checked or anything. It was months before I could straighten it or bend it....it stank. For over two years I wasn't able to do anything weightbearing...even standing for a long time hurt...without pain and swelling, and I started to wonder if it was ever going to get all the way better. It's only been in the last 9 months or so that that has changed. In that time, I've managed to overdo it and get plantar fascitis and IT band tendonitis. So I finally took JB's advice and checked out the Runner's World website and started following their plan instead of just trying to run as far and fast as I could every day. And it's working! I'm so excited! Of course I'm still slow....but I'm just thankful to be on my feet again.

3 comments:

Desiree said...

Awesome! Slow? Who cares! Do you know how few people could even WALK 3 miles? Running continuously for that long is a feat in itself. Speed will come later.

Annette said...

That's awesome, Michelle :)

lillyspad said...

Wow! That's cool! You're my new workout hero! (don't tell Crystal). I'm excited for you. Still trying to lose this extra 11 lbs. of "baby weight". (that's what I'm calling it anyway). Maybe I'll check out Runners World!